Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Patchwriting

“We do not in everyday life reflect much on how one people’s ‘myth’ may be another people’s religion or episteme. What ‘we’ label ‘myth’ from other cultures then translates into the ‘that’s just a myth!’ formula that implicitly sustains the value of our own beliefs. Thus trivialized—though in different ways—both outside and within Western culture, ‘myth’ in common English-language usage today is the object of exoticizing amusement or dismissal; it is deprived of its associations with history, knowledge, and vision—what has made myth culturally valuable and has most fascinated scholars of myths and traditional narratives” (Bacchilega 25).

According to Bacchilega, the definition of myth has become completely skewed. What may be one man's myth, may be another's treasure (or personal values). Myth has become less and less about the cultural background, and more about the "fanciful beliefs" of "outsiders."

And the biggest thing I've struggled with on my Issues Paper is simply length. It's difficult to write an 8-10 page paper without feeling like you're repeating or dragging on. I've tried doing deeper research, but most of it I feel like I've explicitly stated. I'd love your help!

7 comments:

  1. So the biggest thing I can think of to help with length is to expand the bounds of your topic. Maybe a few anecdotes would help with length too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of anything else to do either, and I definitely feel like I'm just saying the same thing over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see your point on repeating and dragging on. Maybe bring in some analogy's and metaphors and use those to improve your paper and length.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I had the same issue while writing my paper. I found that it helped if I found specific examples that related to the ideas I was discussing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah... I found that writing 10 pages is difficult as well. I was writing my paper the other day and i was on page 5 and i thought "man, I can't even reach page 7 to complete the first draft... how the heck em i going to get 10 pages"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Length is tough to hit when there's only so many things you can argue. I feel like I repeated myself in my paper way too much. What helps me is at the very beginning of the writing process, write down as many arguments for my position and as many counter-arguments against my position as I can think of, and then with that rough skeleton in place, I go try to find sources and things to support those many arguments and counter-arguments. You'd be surprised how fast your paper fills up when you do that rather than just starting from page one and trying to pound out 8 pages in a chronological order.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In order to make it feel more real and straightforward with less repetitions, I try to pretend that I'm just talking to a person that apposes my argument, not writing a paper. I get a lot more real ideas that way and it sounds less robotic and repetitive. And with a mouth like mine, that can get me a good amount of pages x)

    ReplyDelete