Thursday, March 1, 2012

Issues Paper Proposal

The second I learned about this paper, I knew what I'd like my topic to be: SOPA. SOPA is the recent bill congress is trying to pass that will in essence destroy any user-created media content. The main premise behind the law is to stop piracy and protect copyright laws on the internet. Essentially, SOPA would create an internet without websites like Youtube, Reddit, and streaming websites. It would also drastically change the way search engines like Google run as well.

My initial stance on the subject is to reject the bill. This bill changes the way the whole structure of the internet. No longer can people upload videos that have copyrighted items in them. No longer can people stream videos of themselves involving music or other videos that have been copyrighted. No longer can Google or other search engines link to other websites. I understand that the intentions behind this bill (to stop illegal piracy) are noble, but I think the way they've gone about it has been almost inhumane. Another reason I chose this topic is because of the corruption in Congress lately. I've been fairly disappointed with our Congress's actions lately, and I feel SOPA is just a result of lobbying by higher-ups at music and media companies.

My main research questions will be "How exactly will SOPA affect the internet?" and "Why are some companies so wholeheartedly supporting this?" I want to get a better sense of why what seems like such an outrageous bill has support.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, take two on commenting. I've wondered the same thing about SOPA even having support. Sounds like you've got a good topic that you feel strongly about, so nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you got a great Topic! Their is a bunch of stuff I bet you can find about SOPA to support for issue paper! I totally agree with you... internet shouldn't have so many regulations. In fact, I want to do my paper on how government is putting to many regulations and limiting creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is indeed a good topic, but you will have a big job of research ahead of you. There are hundreds of articles published about this topic; your job, then, will be to wade through those articles and find those that are the most credible, whose authors are the most reliable. Also, what would really strengthen your argument is to propose a solution for the problems that SOPA is trying to solve.

    ReplyDelete